Monday, November 06, 2006

Disable "Manage Your Server" window through the registry

I had an interesting challenge the other day, it was to set up a bunch of employee's on a Terminal Server. One particular program needed to be installed as administrator due to security measures built into the software. To make a long story short I had to install the program under each user as administrator, there was no way to roll it out under group policy. The "Manage your server" pop up got annoying so I had to find a way to disable it for all accounts.

I made changes to these registry settings.
HKEY_USERS\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Welcome\
and right click and change the setting of "srvwiz" to zero.

I would also recommend searching the registry for srvwiz and change the value to zero. I say this if you already logged in as any other user. There are other references to this but I haven't had to make any changes to the other values.

As a side note make sure you back up your registry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This setting does not work for Windows Server 2003. It works for Windows 2000.

Anonymous said...

For anyone else who stumbles across this page but finds it won't work... I found this link:

http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t14828.html

The method described in that link (an undocumented registry key) has worked perfectly for me on W2K3EE SP2.